Frequently Asked Questions

What insulation type would be best for my house?

The thing with Insulation is ‘one size does not fit all’! Each and every house will have different requirements and varying levels of existing insulation and therefore will require different solutions depending on a number of factors. This is why it is so important to do a site survey or complete Home Energy Assessment so we can talk to you to determine your needs and come up with a plan of action that works for you and your home.

Can you give me approximate prices for insulation works?

We would need certain information about your home in order to determine the type of insulation your home would need and the approximate cost. If you complete our home energy upgrade application form, we will have the necessary details about the property to be able to give you details. You will find the form here —> 

What is involved in External wall insulation?

External Wall Insulation is a process where we wrap your home in what we like to call an ‘insulation blanket’. When using external wall insulation to insulate your home, we effectively add a new insulated ‘skin’ to the exterior of your home. It offers by far the simplest and most reliable solution for improved insulation performance.
You can read more about it here—>
Or watch a video on the process on our YouTube channel here —>

Is External Wall Insulation very intrusive or messy?

No, not at all, this is the great thing about external wall insulation; the whole process takes place ‘outside’ of your living environment, so we will not intrude on your privacy. You can read more about it on our External Wall Insulation page ->

What’s involved in Dry lining?

Internal Insulation otherwise known as Dry Lining involves fixing a layer of highly insulated plasterboard to the internal surfaces of the ‘external walls of the home. Heat escapes through the external walls of your house so the internal walls have no bearing on the overall amount of heat being lost. So, even though this method of Insulation is done from the inside, it is only applied to the ‘external walls’ of each room. The biggest requirement in this process is sealing every escape route to ensure efficiency.

You can read all about it including the things you need to watch out for here->

What kind of home improvement grants are available in Ireland?

There are currently a number of grants being offered by the SEAI for Home Energy Upgrades. You can read about them here—>
One Stop Shop grants —>
Grants for individual upgrade measures —>

How do I apply for SEAI grants, or does the contractor do this? Can I apply for the One Stop Shop grant myself?

In the case of the One Stop Shop grant, only an SEAI-approved One Stop Shop provider, such as Insulex can apply for the grant on your behalf. The grant amount is deducted at source, so the homeowner is not having to fund the total amount, just the cost of works less the grant allowance.

In the case of individual grants, the homeowner has to apply for these grants themselves. The amount needs to be paid in full and then the grant value is reimbursed for the individual measure.

Can I get the work done first and then apply for a grant?

No, The SEAI states, you must have grant approval in place before the work starts.

Can I get a family member to do the work and still get the grant?

No, this is not possible. If your home qualifies for the One Stop Shop, you must use an SEAI-approved One Stop Shop provider, like Insulex to carry out the work. In terms of individual grants, you must select an SEAI-registered contractor.

How much does it cost to get a Home Energy Assessment?

The cost of the HEA varies depending on the size of your property. If you complete the One Stop Shop application form
on our website here, we will have. the necessary details to give you the cost for this.

There is a grant of €350 for this assessment which will be deducted upfront from your invoice. Please note, payment must be made in advance to schedule your assessment.

Can I use any of the grants to get new windows & doors?

If your home qualifies for the One Stop Shop grant, yes, indeed you can upgrade your windows and external doors. However, please note, window & door upgrades are not included in the individual grants option.

Can I use the grant to improve the appearance of my home?

Well, to be honest, this is not what the grants are intended to do. However, if your home is suitable for an upgrade such as External Wall Insulation, this will transform the look of your property. Or as mentioned above, if your home qualifies for the One Stop Shop grant, there is an allowance for Windows and External Doors upgrade also.

Do I have to change my heating system to get the grant?

The SEAI has set out specific parameters that the heating system must comply with, and only a site survey or home energy assessment will determine this.

Do I have to incorporate Solar PV Panels to get the grant?

No, you don’t have to incorporate Solar to get the One Stop Shop grant.
It is not. a ‘requirement’. However, in some cases, it is a solution.! When we look at the Home Energy Assessment for specific home types, it may be difficult, or unlikely to achieve the required B2 BER rating.

In other cases, the work required may be very disruptive to the family if they are living in the house, so Solar PV Panels can actually be the solution to ensure we achieve the required energy uplift, and the required B2 rating to qualify for the grant for the homeowner.

It is a different approach to the upgrade, however, it really depends on the house type, what work is required, and the homeowner’s objectives, circumstances, and budget. Investing in a detailed Home Energy Assessment is the best way to determine this. The SEAI has set out specific parameters that the heating system must comply with, and only a site survey or home energy assessment will determine this.